Animals, Pigs, Roosters, Cattle, Sheep, and Horses

Animal Disease Traceability

The ability to rapidly trace movements of diseased animals or at-risk animals exposed to disease is essential for a prompt response to an animal disease event. Animal disease traceability does not prevent disease, but is an indispensable element for ongoing disease control programs and for emergency response disease investigations by animal health officials. Federal and state animal health officials, in cooperation with livestock industry stakeholders, developed an animal traceability framework to enhance the ability to trace the movement of livestock. The United States Department of Agriculture has the authority to regulate and promulgate regulations for the interstate movement of livestock.

NOTICE: Changes to animal disease traceability regulations, including requirements for movement of cattle, identification, and documentation, can be found in Chapter 2, Division 2 of Title 3 of the California Code of Regulations.. These include the requirement that:

  1. All dairy cattle born after January 1, 2017 must be officially identified prior to leaving their birth premises, unless moving directly to an approved tagging site.
  2. All dairy cattle changing ownership require official identification unless moving directly to:
    • An approved tagging site
    • A recognized slaughtering establishment with a USDA approved backtag
  3. Non-virgin bulls less than 18 months of age and all bulls 18 months of age and over must bear individual official identification prior to change of ownership (unless moving directly to a recognized slaughter facility or on a Bull Slaughter Agreement).

Virulent Newcastle Disease Alert

A regional quarantine is in effect for the Virulent Newcastle Disease (vND) outbreak in Southern California, which covers Los Angeles County and the western parts of Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. According to the regional quarantine:

  • No poultry can move off a premises without prior written permission from CDFA.
  • All commercial/independent/small poultry businesses must receive prior written permission from the CDFA before movements into, within, or out of this region of poultry, poultry products, poultry associated materials or other items that could spread VND (due to contact with poultry, poultry products or poultry associated materials).

For more information about vND and requirements of the regional quarantine, please visit CDFA’s Virulent Newcastle Disease webpage . For more information on movement restrictions, please email

For Veterinarians

We encourage the use of electronic technology for animal disease traceability purposes, which includes Radio Frequency Identification Devices (RFID), RFID readers (wands), Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs), electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVIs), and USDA's Mobile Information Management (MIM) software. Use of electronic technology for animal disease traceability increases the ease, efficiency, and accuracy of data used for daily herd management, movement, routine veterinary services, and in the event of disease outbreaks.

Please refer to our page on Electronic CVIs (eCVIs) for information on CVI options for small animals and large animals and links to eCVI providers.

Timely submission and accurate completion of required forms and information by accredited veterinarians to the Animal Health Branch is critical for animal disease traceability and disease surveillance.

Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVIs) and accompanying documents (e.g., lists of official identification numbers, test results) must be forwarded to CDFA within seven (7) calendar days from date of issue. Common errors in issuing Certificates of Veterinary Inspection (CVIs) include:

  • Missing official identification (ID) information,
  • Missing Coggins (EIA) test information for equids,
  • Missing permit numbers if required, and
  • Delayed submission of CVI and documents to CDFA-AHB.

Veterinarians are responsible for verifying entry requirements of the destination state before moving livestock and poultry to ensure that shipments comply with interstate movement laws and regulations.

Veterinarians or facilities distributing official identification ear tags must report this distribution to CDFA-AHB on a quarterly basis. Use the form "Report of Official Ear Tags Distributed or Applied " (AHB Form 76-210) and send to or the local CDFA-AHB district office within seven (7) calendar days following the end of each reporting quarter, even if no tags were distributed. Reporting quarters end in March, June, September, and December of each year.

  • If a veterinarian (or other person) distributes a series of RFID tags or silver tags, or applies tags that are not associated with an official requirement, the tag numbers should be reported to CDFA-AHB on the "Report of Official Ear Tags Distributed or Applied" or electronically.
  • If a veterinarian (or other person) applies or uses RFID tags for any official requirement (e.g., tuberculosis testing, brucellosis testing, brucellosis vaccination, CVI), the tag numbers should be reported to CDFA-AHB electronically (not on a paper form) with that official report.

Note: Trichomonosis tags don't need to be reported to CDFA-AHB; the bull's official identification number should be included on the submission form when a sample is submitted for trichomonosis testing.

For more information on the use of Radio Frequency Identification Devices (RFID) as the official ID tags for brucellosis vaccination, including the methods of reporting RFID tag numbers to CDFA-AHB and relevant regulations regarding official ID in vaccinates, please see this factsheet:

Use of RFID as Official Identification for Brucellosis Vaccination

Please contact CDFA-AHB headquarters or your local district office if you are interested in incorporating electronic technology for animal disease traceability in your practice.

Interstate Movement Requirements

It is important to verify entry requirements of the destination state before moving livestock and poultry; some states may have additional regulations and requirements.

Please visit the following websites to determine entry requirements for each state:

Special Movement Documents

Pasture-to-Pasture Permits
In certain circumstances, a Pasture-to-Pasture Permit may be issued for beef breeding cattle moving for pasture over the course of one grazing season between California and one of the following states: Oregon, Nevada, and Idaho. Please call the Animal Health Branch Permit Line at (916) 900-5052 to learn more about Pasture-to-Pasture Permits. The Pasture-to-Pasture Permit application can be found here.

Working Horse Permits
Horses that are used for livestock husbandry or other ranch-related activities in both California and certain states (Oregon, Nevada, and Idaho) may be exempt from the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection requirement for entry to California if the owner obtains a Working Horse Permit. These permits are valid until the end of a calendar year. Working Horse Permits are not allowed for horses used for show or exhibition and are primarily issued to owners who already have a Pasture-to-Pasture Permit for grazing beef cattle. Please call the Animal Health Branch Permit Line at (916) 900-5052 to learn more about Working Horse Permits. The Working Horse Permit application can be found here.

Extended Equine Certificates of Veterinary Inspection
An option for owners of horses used for show or exhibition that frequently travel between California and other states is the new Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI), provided by Global Vet Link. Effective January 1, 2020, CDFA will accept Global Vet Link’s EECVI documents for equine interstate movement. These CVIs are valid for up to six (6) months. Through the GVL software system, veterinarians can create an EECVI online, submit it to their state animal health official electronically, and provide owners with online access to retrieve the required travel permits for each interstate movement. For more information, click here.

Identification of Premises

Identification of premises involved in animal agriculture is an asset to achieving an efficient and effective animal disease traceability program. Producers voluntarily contribute to the effectiveness of the program by obtaining a Premises Identification Number (PIN). Producers are required to obtain a PIN to order official AIN (840) tags from manufacturers. To obtain a PIN, complete the Location Number Request form located at and follow the directions on the form to submit it to CDFA via mail or fax. Please call (866) 325-5681 or email for more information. The website is currently down due to technical difficulties.