Wildfire Recovery Resources

Power Outage and Fire Recovery Resources (Main Site)

Governor Gavin Newsom announced the launch of RESPONSE.CA.GOV a new state website with tools and resources for Californians who have been impacted by wildfires and utility-directed power shutoffs. This site combines emergency response, recovery and resilience information into a single place for easy access by users. It is a one-stop portal that includes local and state resources, health services, shelters and housing, preparedness information, and more.

CalOES: Resources for California Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) and Wildfires

Fire Recovery Assistance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has multiple agencies that provide financial and/or technical assistance to help farmers, ranchers and rural landowners recover from natural disasters, such as wildfires. Listed below are USDA agencies and an overview of applicable programs. Funding for some programs are contingent on the annual enactment of Congressional appropriations legislation.

Farm Service Agency (FSA)

USDA’s Farm Service Agency offers a variety of programs and services to help communities, farmers, ranchers, and businesses that have been hard hit by natural disaster events.

Risk Management Agency (RMA)

Risk Management Agency oversees the Federal crop insurance programs. Insureds must have a policy in force with their crop insurance agent to have coverage. This program may protect against the loss of their covered crops or livestock due to natural disasters such as hail, freezes, floods, fire, insects, disease and wildlife, or may cover the loss of revenue due to a decline in price or other factors for applicable programs.

Insureds must call their crop insurance agent within 72 hours of damage discovery to initiate a claim. The crop insurance company will arrange for a loss adjuster to inspect the crop. Do not destroy evidence that is needed to support the claim without clear direction from the insurance company, preferably in writing.

USDA RMA Regional Office:
430 G Street — Suite 4168
Davis, CA 95616-4168
Phone: 530-792-5870
Email: rsoca@rma.usda.gov

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

Farmers, ranchers and non-industrial private forestland owners affected by wildfires can access technical assistance through NRCS’ conservation programs. Farm Bill financial assistance programs may be available in coming months to assist in implementing needed practices. These include advice on preventing erosion, covering and protecting exposed soil, directing water away from vulnerable areas and more.

NRCS may also be able to help impacted communities return damaged watersheds to normal functioning. The Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) was created by Congress to respond to emergencies caused by natural disasters. The program is designed to help reduce imminent hazards to life and property caused by floods, fire, drought, earthquakes, windstorms and other natural disasters.

General Requirements:
  • Designed to protect what structures are still intact but may be threatened due to soil erosion and barren soil.
  • Eminent threat to life and property.
  • Local sponsor is willing and able to represent the local community.
  • Must be demonstrated that all local financial resources have been utilized.

Rural Development (RD)

Rural Development offers a variety of assistance to help California’s rural communities, businesses and families recover and rebuild after disasters, including wildfires.

Complete details on available programs can be found in the Rural Development California Disaster Assistance Resources overview.

UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Cooperative Extension

In addition to the USDA resources listed above, expertise and assistance on particular subjects (e.g. Re-seeding, Erosion & Flooding, Livestock, Salvage Logging and Reforestation) may be available through local or regional University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources (UC ANR) Extension offices. To find contact information for your local county Extension office, or for information on topics of interest, those sites can be accessed at ucanr.edu/County_Offices/

UC Agriculture and Natural Resources Headquarters
1111 Franklin Street, 10th Floor
Oakland, California
Phone: (530) 750-1221

CDFA Fairs and Expositions Branch

CDFA’s Fairs & Expositions Branch within the Division of Marketing Services, provides fiscal and policy oversight to the network of California fairs. California’s fairgrounds also play a key supporting role during wildfires. California’s fairgrounds fill a role in this task, often serving as operational centers and providing shelter and sustenance for evacuated livestock, pets and other rescued animals. CDFA’s Fairs and Expositions Branch oversees the state’s 77 fair organizations and participates in wildfire response.

Program Contacts

Farm Service Agency - Regional Office
430 G Street #4161
Davis, CA 95616
Find your county office
Risk Management Agency - Regional Office
430 G Street #4168
Davis, CA 95616
Rural Development - State Office
430 G Street #4169
Davis, CA 95616
Find your local office
Natural Resources Conservation Service
430 G Street #4164
Davis, CA 95616
Find your local office